What is the common cause for non-compliance?
Normally it is due to poor quality footwear. When it comes to selecting safety footwear for your staff, comfort should be just as high a priority as safety. Comfort is key to having an effective workforce, however, true comfort can’t be achieved with cheaper footwear. If safety footwear is poor fitting and uncomfortable to wear, then staff will discard them leaving your workforce exposed to danger and your business more vulnerable to claims.
What is the cost of cheap footwear?
When reviewing their safety footwear provision, many businesses make choices based on cost per pair rather than reviewing the following potential costs to their business:
Non-compliance – causing an increased number of accidents and claims on the business
- Lack of comfort – causing decreased productivity
- Longevity – cheap footwear never lasts as long as quality often making the seemingly cheaper alternative more expensive in real terms
- Low employee morale – due to feeling of being exploited and not looked after. This often leads to increased absenteeism
- Employee down-time – caused by poor foot support leading to increased muscular skeletal problems
It is recommended to discuss these costs with a safety footwear specialist who can analyse your individual circumstances and identify the actual costs to your own organisation.
The next steps to take.
Being comfortable will make employees happier and more productive. This can be achieved by selecting a limited range of footwear, ideally suited to your workplace environment, tried and tested by employees in your particular industry.
Follow the below 4 steps to eliminate non-compliance in your workplace:
- Analyse your working environment, what protection levels are needed?
- Get in touch with a safety footwear specialist.
- Trial footwear to ensure suitability if unsure.
- Decide on a bespoke range so you know the guys will be happy.
There is a huge range of safety footwear on the market today and some manufacturers are focusing on finding new ways to increase comfort through quality, make-up, production methods and design. When choosing safety footwear look for styles that are designed to enhance comfort and not just aesthetics.
Take the opportunity to increase staff well-being at your company.